Class 04

The Class 04 was a development of the 0-4-0 shunter the Drewry Car Company built for the LMS before the war (see LMS 7050), the first example being a demonstrator built for the LNER just before nationalisation in 1947 [1]. Series production began in BR days a few years later performing a role similar to the Class 03 (which is almost exactly the same mechanically and similar looking). Drewry being a design and sales company rather than an actual manufacturer (for most of the company's life) sub-contracted the building of the locomotives out to the Vulcan Foundry and Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns [2].

Information
Number built: 142
Built: 1948, 1952-62
Builder: Drewry Car Company
Engine: Gardner 8L3 diesel
Power: 240 hp (152 kW)
Wheel arrangement: 0-6-0

However as the amount of shunting needed fell in the 1960s BR decided to standardise on the Class 03 for the small shunter role and the Class 04s began to be withdrawn from the late 1960s onwards. All were gone by 1972 though a number were sold for re-use by industrial railways both at home and abroad. Eighteen have been preserved.
D2229 at Rowsley South (as are the two other shunters below)

D2337, also preserved at the Heritage Shunters Trust

D2272

[1] Brian Haresnape, Diesel Shunters (Ian Allan, 1984) p. 38
[2] Ray King, British Industrial Diesel Locomotives (Traction & Rolling Stock Advertiser, 2006) p. 17